Skip to main content


Back in September of 2015, I started experiencing bouts of diarrhea. After five days of nonstop diarrhea, my husband took me to the emergency room. Blood tests were done, but no stool sample was taken. The hospital sent me home with an anti-diarrheal medicine. On and off for the next month, I would have the start of diarrhea, and then take a pill and stop it. During this time I had severe memory loss. On October 26th, I had back surgery.

By November 6th, the diarrhea had returned with a vengeance. My husband was at a loss. I had no muscle strength, especially not in my legs. He first took me to my primary care provider, but they were closing and wouldn’t see me. So after a lot of work getting me back in the car, he drove me across town to an urgent care office. The doctor saw me and asked a few questions. She then told my husband that I needed to be in the hospital. She called an ambulance and had me taken to the emergency room. It took them over two-and-a-half hours to get an IV in me, and during this time, my kidneys, liver and pancreas were shutting down. They managed to finally get an IV in my foot and then in my shoulder. The next morning, the doctor came in and said, “Good to see you; I wasn’t sure if I would.” They gave me Flagyl (intravenously), potassium, and saline solution, and kept me in an isolation room for five days. They sent me home with a prescription for ten days of Flagyl.

At about fourteen days after the end of the medicine, the C. diff returned. I went to the emergency room, stayed in the hospital for seven days, and this time I was sent home on vancomycin. I followed through with the ten days of vancomycin, and two weeks later the C. diff returned. This went on another three times. During one of these visits, they put me on Difcid (and the copay was $250).

After the third time, I found out about “Best Doctors” (a program offered by my employer). They researched my history and sent a full review of what they felt was best for me, and they recommended a fecal microbiota transplant (FMT). So on my fifth stay in the hospital, the doctors read the recommendation and put me in contact with the only gastrointestinal doctor here in Las Vegas that performs FMTs.

So my son came up from Arizona to be the donor. The FMT was done on June 9th in 2016. So far it has been six-and-a-half weeks with no signs of a return.

I saw the gastrointestinal specialist two weeks ago, and while he was happy with my progress, he gave me bad news: The clinic where I had the FMT is no longer performing them. Now everyone from Las Vegas will be referred to UCLA. I was the last one in Las Vegas to have an FMT. This is the sad state of our medical care in Las Vegas.









Other Stories

  • Mira

    In December of 2019, my husband got sick with C. diff. It was after he was prescribed antibiotics for what they thought was a case of diverticulitis. In hindsight, it’s clear he may have simply had C. diff all along. He was treated with vancomycin…
  • Length: ON AND OFF FOR 5 YEARS

    Beth W.

    My story began in 2018 when I went to see a colorectal surgeon for the incision of a thrombosed hemorrhoid. In order to ‘prevent’ an infection, the surgeon prescribed me both Amoxicillin 800mg 2x daily and Vancomycin 500mg 3x daily. Upon completio…
  • Length: 1 YEAR

    Mollie Lauck

    My Husband and I were expecting our first child. We were so very excited. My Pregnancy was complicated to begin with- I was considered “Advanced Maternal Age” and had Hypertension and Gestational Diabetes. Though it was a labor of love, Pregnancy …
  • Length: 5 MONTHS

    Ken Fredrickson

    I’m 62 and generally healthy, I’ve never had an intestinal issue. I went to the ER on Jan 2, 2023 and a CT scan revealed Diverticulitis. They sent me home with a 2 week course of antibiotics. Four days after completing the antibiotics, I developed…
  • Length: 8 MONTHS


    I am a healthy active older woman. On March 1, 2019 I had an explosive episode of diarrhea, out of the blue, no idea what caused it. The smell was indescribable, like nothing I had ever experienced in my long life. That was the beginning of a long…
  • Dr. Melissa Geraghty, Psy.D.

    At the start of 2018 I was diagnosed with C. diff. I never really heard much about C. diff outside of people acquiring it in a hospital setting or people of advanced age contracting it. Oh, was I wrong. After being sick for about 8 weeks with w…
  • Length: 19 MONTHS

    Cassie Padilla

    As a nurse for 35 years I thought I knew a lot about C. diff but as a patient I’ve discovered I knew NOTHING about C. diff. I have had 2 episodes of C. diff in my life. The first was in 2017 following (prophylactic) antibiotics after surgery. That…
  • Length: 3 YEARS


    I’ve been suffering from this infection for the past few years. When I was first diagnosed, I was shocked and thought this was something that only the elderly suffered from. It’s been 3 years since my first infection, and I still suffer daily. I’v…
  • Length: 4 MONTHS


    I had emergency surgery for a ruptured appendix and was given SO MANY antibiotics in the hospital. I was also given Protonix for the acid reflux that resulted from all the antibiotics. Looking at the list of risk factors for C. diff, I fit every o…
  • Howard

    While many of us who battle C diff have quick success with the usual antibiotics, the purpose of my entry here is to emphasize the high rate of success of the Fecal Microbiota Transplant. My C diff experience was such that A) a lengthy course of V…